African Peri Peri Chicken
Perfect Peri Peri
- chicken 6 legs
- Peri Peri spice (make your own) See below
- 1 Onion cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 4 potatoes cut into quarters
- 4 carrots cut into halves
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2 tsps corn starch
- Cut chicken legs into thighs and legs
- Fill medium pot half full of water and add peri peri spice, 2 tbsp vinegar and onion cut into quarters.
- Bring to a full boil and add the chicken legs
- Parboil until just precooked enough to grill.
- Remove from pot and set aside for grilling. Sprinkle with extra peri peri spice for grilling.
- Add carrots cut into halves, then after 5 minutes add potatoes cut into quarters
- Boil until tender and remove all vegetables. Reserve some liquid for sauce.
- Start grilling chicken, flipping over 2 times for perfect grill marks.
- Bring the peri peri water back to a full boil and add the 2 cups of rice for a very tasty rice mixture. Or boil 4 cups of water (salted to taste) and add the rice and cook until tender. Drain water and set rice aside (and keep warm).
- Pour the reserved liquid into a small pot and add 2 tsps corn starch (mixed with 1/4 cup cold water) and stir until thickened.
Peri Peri Spice Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon Cardamon powder
- ½ teaspoon Powdered Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Ground dry Ginger
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground Cayenne Pepper or Piri Piri Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Hot Pepper Flakes (Chilli flakes)
- 2 teaspoons Garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- 2 teaspoons Basil
- You can adjust any spice amounts to suit your taste
- Just add all the powders to a mixing bowl or mortar bowl
- Mix or grind extremely well to form a smooth powder
- Store in air tight jar (I use short mason jars)