- 1 -2 lbs beef, chicken, or lamb cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1/3 cup dried dill (weed) 1 cup fresh
- 1/4 cup fenugreek leaves
- 1 lb fresh spinach (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup water (if required)
- 1/2 cup dried parsley (1 cup fresh)
- 1/3 cup dried sabzi* vegetables
- 3 dried (black lemons*) crushed
- 3 green onions (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 (19 oz) can red kidney beans (optional) rinsed
Chop spinach, parsley, dill and onions and set aside. Brown meat in large frying pan with the olive oil. In the same pan saute the onion until golden. Simmer on low for 1/2 hour and add 1/2 cup water if dry. Add spinach, parsley, and dill mixture. Simmer 1/2 hour. Add sabzi* vegetables and fennugreek leaves. Add crushed black lemon and green onions. Simmer 1/2 hour. Add lemon juice and salt to taste. Simmer 1 and 1/2 hours. Add red kidney beans and heat through. Serve with rice and mint salad.
*All middle eastern stores carry a variety of dried vegetables (sabzi) fenugreek leaves, and dried lemons (black).